Sunday, November 25, 2012

Oh Man, It's been awhile

I feel rusty, Yes I do.  I'm going to try to get back into updating this shite more often than not.  I'm undergoing the long process of digging pictures up from three years of "untitled folders" lurking on my 1TB harddrive. So, well, you can imagine how that goes.  I have a multitude of HDR stuff that will pop up on here, but that stuff is mostly going to be living over at widerangenature.weebly.com.  I'm going to use that one to try and make some money for these dang ol' things that are just sitting around.  So this blog is going to be used primarily for posting things that are special to me but don't scream "print and sell this shit you lazy asshole."  



So these shots must be at least 5 years old.  I was living a the Mill Hollow apartment complex, and the day was very foggy.



I was relatively new to still nature photography, or the art of creeping through the woods with a camera and slowing down.  I have spent many a frustrated hour in the woods and the fields, hiking up mountains just fucking looking for something beautiful to photograph.  It never works.  It simply never does.  You will inevitably force yourself to believe that the prettiest shot you got on that trip is somehow portfolio quality wackoff material.  It never is.  This walk and photo session was absolutely when it clicked for me.  I was just sitting, experimenting with different exposures and settings, thinking that darkness was coming and my day in the woods trying to find winter beauty was turing up unproductive.  As the sun started to go down, a vibrant pink took over the fog that was hovering over the river.  I needed to do a long exposure since the light was almost gone.  I was blown away by the result.  I had seen long exposure of water, but never really processed the power and simplicity of it.  I had dabbled with night exposures, but also never really processed.  Up until this moment, that is.  I pretty much took these pictures by accident, but these photos lit a bulb in my brain that led to countless hours and shots, wonderful meditative moments in the blackness with camera, tripod, remote, and excited hope that it looks how you think it will.








No comments:

Post a Comment